Sunday, October 01, 2006

Aurora Borealis

Around 11:30 last night, as I was taking the dog out for her bedtime tinkle, I saw what looked like a spotlight beaming up into the sky from the eastern horizon. Then I saw an identical one in the west. As I gawked around it was clearly one big bright white band stretching completely across the entire sky over our heads. Like we were in a big basket, looking up at the handle. It was the Northern Lights, although it didn't wiggle around or have colours. I called Art to come and look and then I attempted to catch it on film. Unfortunately, that's an impossible task without a very special camera.

I was so thrilled by it, I tried to find something about it on the internet. I found this website http://www.geo.mtu.edu/weather/aurora which allowed me to submit my observation, so maybe they will post my report. There's also this website http://www.northern-lights.no which reports high auroral activity right now (the geomagnetic field is unsettled), so maybe tonight there'll be another light show. Maybe you'll even be able to see it down south. I've heard of people seeing them in Abbottsford.

No comments: