Thursday, August 16, 2007

a little light reading

We went into a used book store in Vanderhoof the other day. While Art was stocking up on Dale Browns and Tom Clancys he came across this and bought it for me.Now you might think that's weird, but if you know me, it's not. I was always a bit of a math geek. In grade 9 my absolute favourite was Algebra. I loved it and ate up everything the teacher could give me and still sat around twiddling my thumbs. Finally, rather than have me distracting the other students because I was always finished way ahead of them, he gave me the job of tutoring those that needed help. Just as recently as a couple of years ago I went to the Burnaby library and came home with an Algebra book....to read....just for fun. Art thought I was totally nuts.

But Calculus was a different story. I firmly believe that there are good teachers and there are bad ones. My grade 12 Math teacher was a bad one. Ya, he was smart, but he was unable to get across to me the basics of Calculus. When I said I didn't understand he did not have the time (or inclination) to help me. He just waived me off and I fell hopelessly behind. I never did get it and failed that class. When I got a "D" in Math it was like someone drove a spike through my chest. I blamed the teacher, but who listens to a kid? So, it's one of those niggly things in the back of my brain that I've always wanted to learn. I am looking forward to it.

1 comment:

michelle said...

pre-calculus killed me in high school ... i, too, loved algebra, but once i hit the 11th grade and the joys of "science math" (as opposed to "business math", which would have served me much better in the long run!), i was done. i managed to squeak through, but to this day the thought of it makes me queasy. :)