Sunday, December 17, 2006

I must be getting old

We went to a Christmas party last night. It was hosted by a young single guy we know. The guests ranged from little kids to older than us and it was fun. There were skidoo rides, a bonfire in the back yard and a big potluck dinner. A couple of people brought electric guitars and there was a drum set in the basement so some "jamming" ensued.

So, when I say our host was young, I mean 23'ish. Don't get me wrong. He is a very nice guy and put on a great party. But I forget that with that youth there is often an element of craziness. His house is decorated with snowboards and as he described building ramps from the tops of cliffs so he could soar over roads and hopefully NOT land on a bunch of logs that were stacked with pointy ends up in the air, the group of us 40/50 something's kept tossing each other glances of "did we ever do things like that?!". When I was that age, I did do some rock climbing and hung from ropes off the side of the Stawamus Chief and other such places. I'm sure this activity made my mother shudder, and I know I'd NEVER have done it of my own accord, but I was trying to get in good with this guy named Art. Would have followed him anywhere .... and I did.

Anyhow, I think I'll keep both feet on the ground now, thank you very much. The excitement for today will be baking cookies to include in the Christmas parcels that we're mailing tomorrow to points south. I know. Cutting it a little short, but what can I say? There just never seems to be enough time, does there? Still need to go out into the forest and find a Christmas tree, but the outside lights are all up (for the most part). On the way home from the party last night, we drove along Highway 16 to a section where you can see our place way up the hill, all lit up. Very pretty.

We will miss everyone at the coast this year, but are thinking of maybe going down to Vancouver for New Years. Sara is registered in her very first "official" run on New Year's Day and I would love to be there for that. However, a lot will depend on the weather. There have been such bad storms so far this season. A couple of days ago the Coquihalla, Fraser Canyon AND Duffy Lake Road were all closed. The Lower Mainland was completely cut off, except for the Hope-Princeton and that was apparantly touch and go, also.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

WAHOOOOOOOOOO

NEW YEARS DAY! YAYAYAYAYAYA. Call you tonight... after I pray to the weather gods.... I figure I must have some good karma points stored up somewhere...